So I finally did it! Gag reflex farewell! It took some time but I eventually figured it out.
I hear some people boast that they were ‘just born without a gag reflex’. Well I’m not one of those people. Putting anything, much less a dick to the back of my throat to the point that I could throw up, sounded like a nightmare. I’m really not big on vomit and hate throwing up. Nevertheless, I was intrigued by being able to feel my husband’s member in my throat and set about finding out how. I couldn’t bear asking anyone and I didn’t find a lot of the online information to be all that helpful. Porn wasn’t great at giving instruction either. It’s almost like the people who are able to do it want to keep it a secret to ensure that deepthroaters remain a rare anomaly.
So here I am giving the run down of how I manage it. I can’t believe I am writing this but am glad all the same.
I would just like to say that this isn’t for everyone. I don’t believe that every woman needs to have an arsenal of particular sex tricks in her bag. Nothing is wrong if something (even if it seems ubiquitous) is just not your cup of tea. Also if the idea is traumatising or triggering to you, for example if you’ve suffered from bulimia, there’s no shame in giving it a miss.
So here goes:
1) A number of sites/people recommend using a banana to practice on. I do not think this is a good idea. This is because a unpeelled banana can have scratchy bits at the ends that can irritate your throat. Also if you use a peeled banana, you run the risk of bits breaking off and blocking your airway.
2) Don’t expect this to happen over night. For me it took a few months, but everyone is different. It will take a while for your reflex to recede and to get use to the feeling.
3) I started off with a toothbrush. When I brushed my teeth, I would gently brush my tongue and go progressively further to the back. You may gag initially, but it won’t be enough to bring anything up. Just breathe and try again. I found that the reflex doesn’t just go away, but seems to move further and further down your mouth. Eventually you will be able to brush further than before but this has to be done consistently as any progress you make can be undone if you don’t practice for a while.
4) You should practice on your partner/a sex toy while you are already doing the toothbrush thing. If you practice with a partner, I wouldn’t advise getting them to push your head further on to them. It might be too sudden and make you throw up for real. It’s best to be in the driving seat when it comes to how much you put in your mouth. I find that its easier with your partner lying on his back, with your head on his thigh, or lying on your back while he kneels over your face. Alternatively you can try with him lying on his back with your head on his stomach so that you are making a downward motion towards his legs (if this isn’t clear I can elaborate). I haven’t tried with a sex toy, but I have read that some of the chemicals in some brands can irritate your throat so you may need to check this.
5) You can give yourself measurable goals so you can see your progress. You can do this by holding the sex toy/dick in your hand and keeping an account of how many fingers you are using to hold it. When your lips are able to meet the top of the finger you are using to hold the penis/sex toy, remove it and aim for the next until your lips are able to reach his abdomen/you reach the base of the toy. So go from four fingers, to three and so on. This will take more than one session.
6) Don’t be embarrassed about gagging. Just take it out, breathe and try again. Breathing is key, you will have to pace yourself to make sure you are getting enough breaths in. It is often difficult to inhale when it’s down your throat so aim to take deep enough breaths when you come up. It is important to be relaxed as this will stop you from throwing up/ or gagging uncomfortably.
7) It helps to open your mouth really wide as if you were yawning to get it further as this opens up your throat. Once it gets to the back of your throat you may feel the space getting tight. Try to relax and open wider while gently pushing it further down. For me, this initially felt uncomfortable like a I was developing a sore throat. This can be alleviated as follows;
8) Use lots of lubrication preferably your own saliva. I haven’t used any artificial lubricants to do this so cannot recommend any. You’re putting something large into a small space so it needs to be able to glide easily.
9) I was a bit worried that I would have destroyed my gag reflex rendering it useless if it was needed. I found that your gag reflex will still work as designed, it’s just that you have now trained it not to react in a certain situation.
So there you have it. I hope this is helpful to someone out there who was as bemused as I was by some of the tips available.